stopped in for a minute at the library to buy some time... waiting for a meet up call from friends ... and this movie was playing... depressing? yes. thought provoking? yes. my conclusion? live...It served as an incredible reminder that we live in a world filled with trauma... while watching I questioned helplessly... what can i do?... the answer is to live... I am sure when people are huddled together in refugee camps wondering if they will live into the next day or week or year... they dream about returning to peaceful village life... they probably think about how they would live that life differently... how they would be more this or more that... and less this and that...
after effects: i wanted to go home and throw away all of the extra crap that i have and don't need... when pointlessly 'hanging out' with people... found myself totally turned off by the superficial... found myself wanting the real and meaningful... speaking of the real and meaningful... another movie i saw this week...
Pineapple Express
pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum... thought provoking? no... laughable? yes!... inappropriate? totally... i was glad that the movie didn't fail to mention what losers the pot-heads were... it did kind of glorify pot-head looser life... although most pot-heads will never catch themselves caught up in a drug war...after effects: everyone outside the theater felt and kind of acted stoned... many probably were... but even those of us who were not... didn't really make me want to save the world... but it did make me want to stop at 7-11 for a slurpie and some corn-nuts...
Mongol
While everyone else watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in China I watched the rising of Mongolia's most powerful Khan... I closed my eyes more than a few times because I don't like blood... I even winced as two future khan children became blood brothers... but over all I recommend this movie.... showing at the Broadway.after effects: I came home and started looking up English Teaching jobs in Asia...here and here

3 comments:
im glad you liked PE! i loved it.
That's quite a spectrum of films, Tanya. Thanks for the information. I've heard of the first two, but not Mongol. I'll see if I can fit these into my viewing schedule. We just watched The Edukators (a German film that discusses rebellion, disillusionment, complacency, capitalism, the individual vs. society, etc.), which was a decent film. Up next is Paradise Now. My Netflix queue has over 200 movies in it. It will be a while before I get to the bottom movies.
Joal.. I will have to look into The Edukators...
and yes... I did like PE... laughed... its true... a few times.
Post a Comment