Thursday, November 13, 2008

this post is about a dog

my friend Linda has a little puppy dog named Dogee... or D*O*G... or is it Do'gee. I don't know... If Linda is around chances are D'ogee is not too far away... She used to work with refugee children from Somalia...One day one of the little girls said to her... almost crying...

Linda... I love you so much... I am so sad you are going to hell.

from what I understand the little Somalian girl thought that if you touch a dog you will go to hell...

I also wonder about folklore mixed with my religion... I think I am pretty good at distinguishing culture from LDS doctrine... but... I am sure some has slipped through here and there... I try to be aware... without being angry or ever pulling apart what I don't fully understand...

so...

for the record...

like the little Somali girl, I am really sad Linda is going to hell too...

8 comments:

ram said...

http://tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html


Sorry to post it this way - my email doesn't work at work - I haven;t even read this whole article, but it's supposedly by an MIT guy so it may be an interesting read - and there is AT LEAST one good point there I have to admit I never even thought of.

tanyamae said...

i just read the article ram... it is an interesting perspective... but... it still doesn't make enough sense... but it is another angle for sure... things are so complicated...

what i do know is there is more to this than what is on the surface...

Dainon. said...

I am staying far away from that dog ... and its hellion of an owner.

cemarcano said...

I will agree Tanya that it is more complicated than we can understand. I believe some think they do and are running with some kind of prejudice justification. In my opinion, the politics have little to do with how those same leaders feel about the ones directly affected by this law. Christ loved the adultress - even defended her against being stoned to death, but he didn't legalize nor condone adultry. I know that our leaders love those who struggle with SSA and have great compassion for them. However, a spiritual law is just that - a law. You can't change it any more than you can change a law of nature. E=MC2 no matter how hard you try to manipulate it.
So, I've heard the argument about same sex partners wanting the same rights as married couples when it comes to insurance issues, etc. I can even empathize with some on that point. So I also wondered why our leaders would even speak up about this issue considering the fact that they RARELY tell us how to vote on any political issue. So that just tells me there must be some kind of implication on this matter that would be spiritually catastrophic if the law allowed same sex marriages. To what extent? I don't know. I'm not a prophet. But history tells us that we are safer following the prophet and the Lord than to rely upon our own understanding.
It's interesting to note as well that not too many years ago we had this same vote here in Texas and by a grand majority, marriage was defined as a union between a man and a woman. I didn't see any riots break out here nor did I hear the mormons getting blamed for the vote.
Having said that, may I say that my heart goes out to anyone struggling with Same Sex Attraction. It's no picnic, but for those who have been offended I would say, I'm sorry and I hope there is room for compassion and forgiveness to come into full fellowship in the church in order to recieve and enjoy the same blessings that we all enjoy. The Lord knows all of his children, loves all of them and has a plan and a way for each and every one to return to his presence if they so desire. No one is without a trial on this earth and how we deal with it will be noted and dully rewarded in the next life. This is my belief and my hope.

tanyamae said...

i sort of regret even bringing this topic up...

ram said...

I did't mean to dig so much into the can of worms...

I think the important subject was this situation with Linda being doomed to hell, and what we're going to do about it. I'll only be sad about that if I don't end up in hell myself.

Linda said...

I'm not exactly sure what the link is between my dog, me going to hell and gay marriage, but just for the record, I'm not gay...neither is my dog, and I have no intention of marrying him. Can I go to heaven now? :)

tanyamae said...

i think under those conditions you can go to heaven... i will have to consult a few people...

but the link linda... i kind of edited my blog a bit... but i sort of brought up "recent political issues" blah blah blah...

ram... you didn't open a can of worms... i promise... my frustration with the whole thing evolved from a conversation/argument with a family member on Sunday... the worms had more to do with being misunderstood by a family member... and nothing to do with linda, her dog and/or gay marriage...