as quoted in After the Ecstasy, the Laundry... on page 23
When Death Comes
Mary Oliver| When death comes like the hungry bear in autumn; when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse to buy me, and snaps the purse shut; when death comes I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering: And therefore I look upon everything and I think of each life as a flower, as common and each name a comfortable music in the mouth and each body a lion of courage, and something When it's over, I want to say: all my life |
friend olivia pointed out the last stanza as quoted... I thought about this stanza as we were leaving Nosara and driving back to San Jose. The scene that surrounded... the natural beauty.... made me feel like a bride married to amazement... and I wrapped these metaphors around and around... envisioned being married to the world... envisioned taking the world into my arms...
I really really really want to go camping... I hate to even call it camping... camping seems to require effort... I want to wander... gather a few things and then drive to a lovely isolated location... leave everything behind and just wander...
spring will come... i know she will...
the song says april... but... april/spring... same thing... but of course may stays... and i am may...mae
i like thinking of the earth and the seasons as female... makes me feel connected to her... like in a way i am her... because when i am alone with her i become her...and really i am her... we all are
its almost spring...
and i am a bride married to amazement.

No comments:
Post a Comment