I am subjected to commercial radio almost on a daily basis. I usually try public radio first. If nothing is what I find I hit the scan button. The liberating thing about listening to commercial radio while driving from here to there and there to here when I do is that I am by myself… If Shania Twain is singing about not being totally impressed by Brad Pitt, I can sing along and know one will ever know…
Honestly… I probably don’t care so much that anyone knows as much as I think it is funny what I am willing to subject myself to when ‘no one will know’… There are moments that make me laugh to myself… Like the whole… that don’t impress me much sing along that happened a little too recently…
But… I excuse myself… Some really terrible songs have memory value right??? Huh guys… like Shania Twain reminds me of mom cleaning the house on Saturdays…Those days felt organized, relaxed and refreshing… Her and my dad both like listening to music loud enough so that it can be heard in every room in the house…
Another song that I can’t resist a hearty sing along to is Amarillo by Morning… That song totally reminds me of the sunrise across the flat Texas landscape in the family van on our way home from where ever it is that we have been...
Amarillo by morning, up from san antone.
Everything that Ive got is just what Ive got on.
I aint got a dime, but what I got is mine.I aint rich, but lord Im free.
Amarillo by morning, amarillos where Ill be.
There are so many more… and I do believe that a large portion of my current appreciation for singer/song writer/country sounding music comes from my dad’s humble collection of cassettes with songs like… Water - - cool clean water… hated it then and can’t get enough of it now… weird how that works…
Hmmm?
That’s all…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I have also been rediscovering my dad's cowboy music over the last couple of years. Marty Robbins...and the Kingston Trio.
ya... i kind of...ah hmmmm... totally love marty robbins...
Long live classic country. And.... Neil Diamond? I caught myself singing my heart out to him the other day.
What a great way to spend Easter. Can't say I've ever dyed eggs in the desert.
Good memories. . . Amarillo by Evening would be more appropriate. It seems that Amarillo is the halfway mark from Houston to Utah. . .a place of hope that we've survived this far. . .I love my contemporary top 40 stuff, but while I grow tired and can't remember what I found so fascinating about the 80's,90's stuff, country seems timeless.
Post a Comment