Sunday, April 20, 2008

When I was in the second grade I made friends with another second grader named John. We bonded in the lunch line over potty humor… we talked about the cafeteria food and decided that the reason peas are called peas is because they were yellow. Peas are not usually yellow, but they always were in the school cafeteria. It doesn’t really make sense, but for some reason it was so funny. We had so much fun laughing about that. I was pretty excited to have a new friend. I didn’t really have many of them.
My first theory is that kids are not really as open and accepting as everyone says they are… If popularity is based on looks alone even in the second grade that could have been a reason… I looked like a little boy. Once when I was complaining about this to my mom she said, “Well. Until you get boobs you should start wearing dresses”. Simple solution…
Second theory… on top of the fact that I wasn’t that cute… in a typical little girl cute sort of way I was kind of weird maybe… These things make me laugh now, because I realize how weird they are… I sucked my thumb. I was convinced that no one knew because of the way I sucked my thumb. I would flatten my hand and finger pointing up with my thumb in my mouth. I thought people would just think I was holding my hand right in front of my face and wouldn’t notice the thumb in mouth. When someone called me a baby I passionately denied sucking my thumb. … The other thing I did was listening to the swings… If you have ever put your head on someone’s tummy and heard all of noises of the body happening… it was kind of like that… So I was kind of weird… I think I was a super awesome kid and when I meet kids that remind me of me I like them even more than the normal cute ones. That’s just how it is…
Back to John. The same week that we bonded over cafeteria potty humor we were playing on the playground. We seriously had so much fun hanging out together. Maybe we were both really weird. All I knew is that me matched and I felt comfortable being his friend… until a group of girls started calling him my boyfriend… I walked away from being his friend… That was so lame… because they were not my friends… If I left my cafeteria line potty humor friend there wasn’t anyone else that I enjoyed playing with more… Lame… the worst part about it is when he asked me, “Why wont you be my friend?”

I don’t know why I am writing this story, except I have been thinking about it… and maybe I want to brag about what a weird kid I was… Too bad me and John were never friends again. I remember seeing him at the singles ward in Houston and thinking, hmmm… in second grade we were friends but now I pretend that I never knew him. Maybe I will look him up on facebook or something and apologize…

3 comments:

cemarcano said...

Which John was that? Or is that an alias to protect identity? I don't remember a John your age, except maybe John Prince?
Come check out my odes. I was feeling nostalgic today.

Mandy said...

i think i know which john that was. was it john metcalf? i bet it was. k, so i dont know how to do what you want me to do. so i will call you when i have time to do it. thanks. also i have video of reece singing, but dont know how to download it. maybe you can tell me how to do that to.love ya

tanyamae said...

and we have a winner... ding ding ding.