Sunday, September 14, 2008


so saturday morning my boss texted me to ask about my family. I didnt even know there was a hurricane Ike... hurricanes never really hit houston... its totally like the boy who called wolf... i didnt even think it was anything to get excited about... i really wasnt worried... but now i know it was something to be excited about... i am reminded of the movie places in the heart... its the movie where gidget tries to raise a cotton crop without a husband... she has two cute kids and helper... a tornado hits and its the climax of the movie... everyone lives and they manage to pull through with a successful crop in the end...

so on my sister's blog she said that during the winds the trees were bent over parallel to the ground... cool!.... and my sister mandy stayed in houston... they boarded up their windows and doors... their neighbors didnt and their windows were blown out and i think their door too... so in the middle of the storm the neighbors sought refuge in mandy's house... she is like state farm... a good neighbor who is there...

i finally talked to my dad this morning... he stayed in houston at the bishops storehouse to help... he works there... so its expected of him... also... i could tell he loved being in the mix of it all... when i talked to him it sounded pretty chaotic... church people from other cities in texas were at the store house to help... they were cleaning up and making sure people were ok... i asked him if he knew of any casualties... he couldn't say... we probably know more since they haven't had electricity...

i know there are storms that are worse... and this probably isnt that exciting to people that have suffered loss... but for me... sitting here safe and snug and knowing my family is all the same... wish i could have been there.... :( feel kind of left out.

2 comments:

Kim and Tammy said...

Tanyamae I love your perspective on things! You make me smile! Always in a good way! I love you! Also, I loved your testimony and make sure you add another assignment to the Ellis blog that I have for everyone!

cemarcano said...

We felt a little left out here in Rockdale, too. Except for seeing all the evacuees here in town. Our walmart was buzzing with activity this week from strangers. I could tell they weren't from here, because they had school age kids with them (our kids are in school) and they all looked like they were camping out. Mom finally went home this morning. I told her she could stay longer, but she was anxious to get back and clean up. I guess she cleaned all she could here these past 6 days. We sure enjoyed having her here even if circumstances weren't great back in Houston. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.