Saturday, January 12, 2008



About the feminine and the masculine

First of all I love both sides of this. I really love men. I don’t love them for any selfish reason, but because they are who they are and they are different from me. I haven’t always had the best experiences with them exhibit A, but I don’t blame that on their sex. I recognize that like attracts like – and so the experiences that I am having are my own and are happening for a reason… there…. Um…

My point.

I just started reading this book called the fisher king & the handless maiden… it is a short book but pretty in depth… as in if I just skim a few sentences here and there I miss something… I will go into more detail about how it approaches the wound of the masculine and the feminine in our culture… but for now… this insight...

It talks about how in western culture we have sacrificed the heart for the head… it says that you can see it in our language… the Eskimos have hundreds of words for snow… if anyone would know snow the natives of Alaska would…

“Sanskrit has ninety-six words for love; ancient Persian has eighty, Greek three, and English one. This is indicative of the poverty of awareness or emphasis that we give to that tremendously important realm of feeling… It is always the inferior function whether in an individual or a culture that suffers this poverty. One’s greatest treasures are won by the superior function but always at the cost of the inferior function” (Johnson, Robert A: 6&7).

Hmmm…

I am still wrapping my head around this… and maybe I need to make more room for my heart…

As I was growing up, the thinking function was valued over the feeling function… I have both… of course, my thinking is very connected to matters of intuition, feelings, human interaction… but the way I approach it, because of the culture and environment I was raised, it is all so head heavy… as in… I think everything to death… even now… as in right now… .ugh…

So… any thoughts??? Or feelings for that matter… on how I can invite both my head and my heart to meet somewhere in the middle...

2 comments:

cemarcano said...

I've been wondering how to do that my whole life. It's tough when you have two equally strong oppositional points of your personality. I can only say perhaps the answer lies somewhere in the scripture that says "I will tell you in your heart and in your mind. . ." I guess when the two come together you've got synergy my friend. Unfortunatetly for me it doesn't happen REAL often - which is why I'm such a clutz at decision making.

Jason and Emily said...

good stuff.

I'd love to talk about it in person.