Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday morning... and Jonah - the one that got swallowed by the whale


So miracles…

Depending on where a person believes they come from… I say God…

So, miracles are only big or small in our minds… the creator of miracles – God – says a miracle is a miracle – no matter how big or how small…

It is mentioned in the secret and I was just reading the same thing in johah… p.s. I really like the bible…

this is what happens after Jonah is spit out by the whale and he goes to the wicked city and tells them they are all going to be destroyed... they listen and repent... God says he will forgive them.

From what I can tell Jonah either doesn’t understand, or as the chapter heading says, he is “displeased with the Lord for his mercy upon the people – The Lord rebukes him.” The way the Lord teaches … the more that I make mistakes and feel him teaching me… the more loving I realize he is… merciful, accepting, understanding and patient…

So why does Jonah think it is better for him to die than it is for him to live… (vs 3) Jonah goes outside of the city to see what will become of it… The Lord has forgiven the people because they repented – but Jonah still expects the city to be destroyed… am I totally off on this??? In the meantime the Lord makes a gourd or bean plant to shade Jonah’s head from the sun…. So the Lord has forgiven a city – Jonah isn’t willing to accept this – goes out to watch the city be destroyed – because they deserve it of course – and in the meantime the Lord creates a plant to cover him from the sun… and Jonah is grateful for the covering – but from what I can tell is still expecting the city to be destroyed… is he unwilling to allow the city to be forgiven – does he get secret pleasure in the hopes that they deserve to be destroyed…

But then the next morning the gourd is taken away and it is so hot that Jonah wishes he were dead…

Okay… so I think Jonah expects the people to be destroyed because he sees that they are not really sorry… they have just repented out of fear… interesting… (vs 11) should not I spare Nineveh (the city)… wherein are more than six-score thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand (natural man not spiritually reborn) … So is God saying he knows they are not spiritually reborn – but what they are giving is enough to spare them for now… he is showing mercy… Did Jonah think again he knew more than God? Or I guess it was just his naturalness that didn’t understand God’s mercy…

hmmm...

2 comments:

Dann said...

I have a Bible stories tape I got as a kid made by Golden Book that will clear all of this up for you:

After Jonah tells the people to repent he climbs up on a cliff ledge and waits for the show. When it doesn't come, he scowls and says, "I feel like a FOOL!" The people of Ninevah have repented and are totally having a party but Jonah doesn't calm down until God talks to him from a cloud, and then he goes home happily to his goat, two chickens, and a cow.

Quite simple. ;)

tanyamae said...

really... i dont remember the goats and chickens... The KJV does mention cattle though...

What about the gourd plant... i think that is pretty important in the KJV... as in Jonah was totally ok with that miracle, but had a hard time with the miracle that spared the city...

hmmm... my favorite part that you talk about from Golden Book is the "I feel like a FOOL!"... I am going to incorporate that in my vocabulary for the next week or so...

p.s. i added you as a link on my page - cool?. :)